Register online or in person today!
The backbone of our summer reading program is the reading challenge. Every prereader, child, and teen who registers will receive a free book, reading log, and assorted other goodies.
This year we are simplifying the program so it is easier for families to track and report their reading. Each family can decide its own goal for daily reading amounts, and record whether that goal was fulfilled on any given day. We challenge participants to read or engage in reading activities 5 days/week. Adults and teens can just let us know when they have finished a book!
There are 4 options when you sign up. All participants earn one sticker/day that you meet your reading goal (you decide how much you want to read each day). Every 5 days equals one level.
- PreReaders (Age 0-4)
- Children (Age 5-12)
- Teens (Age 13-17)
- Adults (Age 18+)
- We are not checking reading logs weekly – to enter the weekly gift card drawing, just submit one of the weekly challenges in person or via email.
- PreReaders and Children can submit completed reading logs (goal met 5x/week for at least 5 weeks) between August 9 – August 14 to be entered into the grand prize drawing. Submit either in person at the front desk in the Library or email a picture to email@example.com. Adults and Teens will gain one entry per number of books they reported over the course of the summer.
Ice Cream Coupons
The first time a child or teen participates in the reading program, whether it be through turning in a weekly challenge or handing in a completed reading log, they will receive a coupon for a free ice cream cone (while supplies last).
Children and Teens can complete weekly challenges and submit them to the Library to enter a raffle for an Amazon gift card. PreReaders can complete one of the challenges to receive a small prize. Adults and Teens are automatically entered to win an Amazon gift card by reporting (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person) the number of books they have completed (each book equals one entry).
PreReaders and Children can turn in their completed reading log showing that they have reached their reading goal at least 5 days/week for 6 weeks to be entered into the grand prize drawing. Adults and teens who have reported the number of books they have read will be automatically entered.
Grand prize winners will win a gift basket including the following:
- PreReaders: 1 year membership to the ScienceCenter, gift card to Purity Ice Cream.
- Children: Nintendo Switch Lite, gift card to Buffalo Street Books.
- Teens: Apple Watch, gift card to Ithaca Coffee Company.
- Adults: Lansing-themed gift basket (gift cards & products from local businesses).
Enjoy our weekly programs outside in a tent behind Town Hall. Events will take place at 11:00am unless otherwise noted.
|Tues. July 13 @ 6:00pm||Storytime and Stuffed Animal Sleepover with Ms. Lombardo
Bring a stuffed animal to storytime, and leave it to have an overnight adventure in the Library!
|Sat. July 17||Visit with author David Kirk|
|Sat. July 24||Cornell Raptor Program|
|Sat. July 31||Storytime with Lansing Loves to Read|
|Sat. August 7||The Golden Goose (Rev Theater Co)|
More Fun and Activities
Take and Make Crafts
Each week from July 5 – August 15 we will offer take and make crafts available for patrons to pick up. There will be options for children and adults.
Adopt an Animal
Whether you need a little extra incentive to fit in those reading minutes, or just a friend to read with, our adopt-an-animal program can help. Stop by the Library from July 7-August 13 to choose from our collection of stuffed animals who need a home. Participants will need to fill out an application form and promise to do their best to read daily to their new pet.
Summer is the perfect time to debut our new storytime kits! Each kit contains a collection of books around a theme, as well as related toys and activities.
Elementary Book Club
Pages to Projects, the Library’s early readers book club, aims to introduce emerging readers to new books each month. Each month, we will provide children with both a copy of a book and materials and instructions for a related project.
Tween Book Club
Our tween book club features a variety of titles appealing to many different readers around the ages of 9-12. Each month participants will receive a kit that includes a copy of the book and fun materials and projects related to the book.
Dungeons and Dragons Teen Book Club
Our new Dungeons & Dragons Teen Book Club will meet via Google Meeting to gather Tuesdays from 3:00-6:00pm from July 13-August 10. Dungeon Master Marcus will lead participants through a thrilling campaign; the Library will provide free books and offer in-game and IRL prizes to participants who report their reading.
Support the SPCA
The Library is partnering with the Tompkins County SPCA to help animals in need.
- Take and Make Crafts
Several weeks of our take and make crafts will feature items that participants can make and either keep for their own pets or donate to the SPCA.
- Adoption Posters
Create an adoption poster for available animals at the SPCA!
- Find photos and information about available animals on the SPCA’s website.
- Use any paper and materials you have on hand or digital programs to create a poster about one of the animals that will convince someone to adopt it. Feel free to draw the animal or use the photo.
- The Library will have hard copies of photos and some supplies available to anyone who needs them starting July 6.
- Bring in your finished poster, or email a digital copy to email@example.com to have it displayed in the Library.
- Check back all summer to see which animals were adopted!
- If you need inspiration, check out this one, this one, this one, or this one.
- Supply Drive
The Library will be a drop-off location for food and supply donations to the SPCA. A full list of urgently needed items is available on the SPCA website, but items most needed in the summer are:
- Chicken- or turkey-based kitten food
- Kitten milk replacer
- Small carriers
- Bags of dry food